Student and Staff Wellness 5-58
School Board of the City of Virginia Beach
Student and Staff Wellness
Virginia Beach City Public Schools, in partnership with families, community organizations, and other local agencies, play an important role in promoting student wellness. The School Board supports a school environment that encourages and fosters nutritious eating habits and physical activity, both linked to academic success and lifelong good health. Schools are encouraged to work collaboratively with families and the community to improve the quality of health for students and staff.
The Superintendent will, through regulation, guidance or procedure, ensure that the School Division meets applicable federal wellness policy requirements and will include the following components:
- Measurable goals for nutrition education, physical activity, and other school-based activities to promote student wellness;
- Elementary students will be provided daily recess of 40 minutes for kindergarten and 30 minutes for grades 1-5 which may not be withheld as a disciplinary measure. The Superintendent or designee will develop regulations and guidelines to ensure consistent implementation.
- Nutrition standards for all foods and beverages available during the school day, with the objective of promoting student health and reducing childhood obesity;
- Assurance that local guidelines established shall not be less restrictive than USDA regulations and guidance, or existing Virginia regulations and guidance, as they apply to the school nutrition programs;
- A plan for measuring implementation of the local plan; and,
- Ensure the involvement of parents, students, school health professionals, school nutrition program directors and/or managers, the School Board, school administrators, and the general public in development, implementation, and periodic review of this program.
- Designate the School Health Advisory Board as the School Division's Wellness Committee and ensure that the Board meets at least four (4) times per year to establish goals and procedures for and oversee school health and safety policies and programs. Direct oversight of this committee will be the responsibility of the Department of School Leadership (hereinafter "DOSL"). DOSL will retain appropriate documentation of wellness policy compliance which shall include: the policy; documents demonstrating compliance with community involvement requirements, including requirements to make the policy and triennial assessments available to the public; and documentation of the triennial assessment of the policy.
See also School Board Policy 7-21
See also School Board Regulation 7-21.6
The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act, 42 U.S.C. § 1758 B, as amended by the Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010, 7 C.F.R. §§210.10, 210.11 and 220.8, as amended.
School Board Policy 7-21, as amended. Citizen's Advisory Committees.
School Board Regulation 7-21.6, as amended. School Health Advisory Board.
School Board Policy 7-21
School Board Regulation 7-21.6
Adopted by School Board: June 20, 2006
Amended by School Board: June 20, 2017
Amended by School Board: May 22, 2018
Amended by School Board: July 9, 2019