The School Board of the City of Virginia Beach voted to name Dr. Donald Robertson Jr. as superintendent at its meeting Jan. 23. A native of Hampton Roads, Dr. Robertson began his career as a math teacher with Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) in 1988 and progressed in leadership roles including assistant principal of Bayside High School, principal of Salem High School, chief strategy and innovation officer, chief schools officer, chief of staff and acting superintendent.
Addition and Deletion of Curriculum Courses 6-24.1
School Board of the City of Virginia Beach
Addition and Deletion of Curriculum Courses
The Department of Teaching and Learning will monitor and update the curriculum. The following procedures will be used in adding or deleting curriculum courses.
- The addition of courses will be based on an identified need. This need will represent student or public interest in a particular study. This need may also be based on the need for realignment of the curriculum due to new or revised mandates, including the Standards of Accreditation.
- Any requests for adding courses will be directed to or originate from the Chief Academic Officer.
- Following the analysis and approval of the Department of Teaching and Learning, the request will be submitted to the Superintendent for approval.
- The Superintendent will recommend the addition of new courses to the School Board.
- School Board approval will be required before a new course may be implemented.
- The deletion of courses will be based on reasons such as a decline in student enrollment, inappropriate content, curriculum covered in other courses, changes in the Standards of Accreditation, unfavorable program evaluation, funding availability, or other pertinent data such as market and labor trends.
- All requests for deleting courses should be directed to or originate from the Chief Academic Officer.
- After study by the Department of Teaching and Learning, the Chief Academic Officer will make a recommendation to the Superintendent for approval.
- The Superintendent will recommend deletion of the course to the School Board.
- School Board approval is required before a course may be deleted from the curriculum.
- Curriculum Course Review/Assessment
- New courses and courses currently being implemented in the curriculum will be reviewed annually by the Department of Teaching and Learning.
- Courses currently being implemented in the curriculum will be assessed by the Department of Teaching and Learning on a rotating basis by program area in order to establish justification for retention based upon pertinence to the needs of students and the changing world in which they live.
- New courses will be assessed by the Department of Teaching and Learning during the first three years of implementation based on: appropriateness of content, student enrollment, student/teacher suggestions, student success, and needed adjustments.
Approved by Superintendent: July 16, 1991
Revised by Superintendent: August 12, 1998
Revised by Superintendent: May 26, 2004
Revised by Superintendent: September 28, 2011
Scrivener’s Amendments: January 8, 2014