The School Board of the City of Virginia Beach voted to name Dr. Donald Robertson Jr. as superintendent at its meeting Jan. 23. A native of Hampton Roads, Dr. Robertson began his career as a math teacher with Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) in 1988 and progressed in leadership roles including assistant principal of Bayside High School, principal of Salem High School, chief strategy and innovation officer, chief schools officer, chief of staff and acting superintendent.
Evaluation of the Curriculum 6-25
School Board of the City of Virginia Beach
Evaluation of the Curriculum
Each principal and school staff will establish methods of evaluating the progress of individual students and the effectiveness of the delivery of the instructional program in each classroom and school. The Departments’ of Teaching and Learning and School Leadership staff will work closely with principals and staff to assist in the improvement of instruction and student achievement. The Department of School Leadership, principal, school staff and members of the community shall review annually the extent to which the school has met its prior goals and objectives, a forecast of enrollment changes and analyze the school's student performance data including data by grade level or academic department as necessary. Such outcomes shall be provided to parents of children at the school, the school community and the Superintendent.
Appropriate means for a division-wide evaluation of the instructional program will be established and maintained. Elements of this evaluation may include:
- Alignment to Virginia Standards of Learning;
- Results of state and local assessment program, as well as national standardized general achievement tests, national standardized tests in specific areas, and tests administered by other agencies;
- Student achievement records on a school-wide basis;
- Study of school drop-out, discipline and attendance data;
- Examination of out-of-division services such as colleges, universities and regional research councils;
- Curriculum Course Evaluation/Review/Assessment
- Courses currently being implemented in the curriculum will be reviewed and assessed annually by the Department of Teaching and Learning, on a rotating basis by program area, to establish justification for retention based on student needs and the changing world in which they live.
- New courses will be assessed by the Department of Teaching and Learning during the first three years of implementation based on appropriateness of content, student enrollment, student/teacher suggestions, student success and needed adjustments.
- Periodic Reports
An evaluation of the instructional program and its effectiveness shall be made periodically and reported to the School Board by the Superintendent.
Code of Virginia § 22.1-253.13:6, as amended, Standard 6. Planning and public involvement.
Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia, 8 VAC 20-131-10 et seq., as amended.
School Board Policy 2-42
Adopted by School Board: August 21, 1990
Amended by School Board: July 16, 1991
Amended by School Board: July 13, 1993 (Effective August 14, 1993)
Amended by School Board: August 4, 1998
Amended by School Board: May 11, 2004
Amended by School Board: June 6, 2006
Amended by School Board: April 18, 2017
Amended by School Board: February 13, 2024