The School Board of the City of Virginia Beach voted to name Dr. Donald Robertson Jr. as superintendent at its meeting Jan. 23. A native of Hampton Roads, Dr. Robertson began his career as a math teacher with Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) in 1988 and progressed in leadership roles including assistant principal of Bayside High School, principal of Salem High School, chief strategy and innovation officer, chief schools officer, chief of staff and acting superintendent.
Instructional Materials 6-61.1
School Board of the City of Virginia Beach
- Basic and Supplemental Materials
The Department of Teaching and Learning will make available for all administrative and instructional staff a list of basic and supplemental materials for use in each curricular area.
- Basic materials are defined as those print and digital textbooks and materials embedded into the written curriculum which all schools must have to implement the educational program.
- Supplemental materials are those items which each school has some choice in using and/or acquiring. These may include items which have been approved by the Department of Teaching and Learning for use in classrooms to meet the goals of the curriculum; however, inclusion of these materials is not essential to implementation of the basic curriculum.
- Instructional staff will use both basic and supplemental materials, as provided by the Department of Teaching and Learning.
- Addition and Deletion of Basic and Supplemental Materials
The Department of Teaching and Learning will develop a procedure for receiving suggestions for basic and supplemental materials to be added to or deleted from the curriculum.
- Teaching and Learning staff will advise department chairs and teachers of the procedure and will reviewed requests as received.
- Instructional Supplies and Materials
Each teacher will be provided materials for the approved curriculum. Building administrators request and access materials for teachers by contacting the Department of Teaching and Learning.
At the building level, procedures for teachers to secure available basic and supplemental materials will be established.
Approved by Superintendent: July 16, 1991
Revised by Superintendent: October 19, 1993
Revised by Superintendent: March 22, 2018